"I no longer imagined my scars as ugly, like I was a monster pieced and stitched together. Suddenly, they were curling and blooming onto a canvas - thorns at first, and then roses. They were a winding staircase into a secret tower. Instead of being long brands and labels, they curved and became the perfect papery imprint on a butterfly's wing. And when those wings hit the sunlight, they looked like a painting.
Suddenly they were beautiful."
(remember that one time I said I liked this book?)
This morning... well, afternoon (thanks to a delightful lazy morning) as I was putting my makeup on, I thought about my physical imperfections. I wouldn't say I compare myself to famous actresses, but sometimes I do wonder how they're always so perfect looking. Then I remember that this is their job. It's their job to look good. They have all the money in the world for hair extensions, treatments, waxes, teeth perfecting, etc. Can you imagine how much time they must spend on their appearance? Gosh, exhausting.
Anyway, I have physical "imperfections." Let me tell you about them.
1) One of my front two teeth has been chipped since second grade. I was playing red rover. I was called and starting running towards two girls who decided to let go at the very last second as I was running full force. Unlucky for me, there was a wall close behind. Haven't played Red Rover since.
2) I have 29 screws and 2 plates in my jaw. I had an underbite my entire life until I had jaw surgery at the age of 17. They cracked off both of my jaws and moved them around. I couldn't open my mouth for weeks and weeks.
3) Because of that surgery, I have a numb bottom lip and chin. Well, it's about 70% numb. And no, that doesn't mean you can punch me and I wouldn't feel it, silly. I still have a skull. Many of my nerves were damages from the surgery, leaving much of my face numb. Most of the feeling came back. Most.
4) I have a scar below my lip from where I had a mole removed... twice. It was like an Anti-Marilyn.
5) Sometimes I have really bad eczema... worst around my eyes. Before I had a prescription, I would put moisturizer on 4 times and my skin would still be flaking. Dry skin like whoa.
6) I've had to wear glasses since... are you ready for it? I was three.
7) I am a moley girl. I think I have 8 on my face/jawline. Sometimes, they make shapes.
Anyway, that's my face. And it's perfect within it's imperfections.
And I'm thankful for it!