Wednesday, September 8, 2010

I Own a Tree

If you be my star
I'll be your sky
you can hide underneath me and come out at night
when I turn jet black and you show off your light
I live to let you shine
I live to let you shine

But you can skyrocket away from me,
and never come back if you find another galaxy
far from here with more room to fly.
Just leave me your stardust to remember you by.
- Gregory and the Hawk


My roommate's method of compensation for lack of sleep is by taking a nap. My method is a handy dandy beverage called an americano. Okay, so one is probably more healthy than the other, I know. But, I've always been a make-it-through-the-day kind of gal. Usually.

When I woke up for my 8 a.m. class, it was 42 degrees outside, so I planned to spend the afternoon in the library. However, it is now a gorgeous day outside. Perfect for a t-shirt and jeans. You know what that means, Mom? I found my tree, just like Rory. When I made the executive decision that I was going to study outside and get my daily dose of vitamin D, I knew the selection of location was of utmost importance.

This was going to be the day that I picked my tree. This was going to be the moment that I chose the bark I would lean against while reading literature, writing thoughts, and while becoming a little less ignorant towards dozens of subjects.

Okay, so maybe I'm placing a little too much nostalgia on this choice, especially since during 4/5 of my time here, the temperature is too cold to even utilize this particular function of trees... but I didn't want to let my mother down. I'm no where near going to Yale, so having a tree like Rory is the closest she's going to get to having a daughter live her life vicariously through Rory Gilmore.

Anyway, I picked a strong, healthy-looking maple. I think we'll get along. Now to think of a name.

Two guys across from me are tightrope walking between two trees. Props, gentlemen, props. It's fun to see people pass time with activities that don't involve electronics. It's even more fun when they're hipsters. I would go over there and try it for myself if it wasn't for my infamous lack of balance and the fact that I just heard one of them say, "I'm usaully really good with balance, but I feel like a two year old on this thing!"

Book update:
The Late Homecomer = done.
I liked it. A lot. It was a wonderful Hmong memoir told in a very personable manner. I loved learning not only facts, but also feelings about their past and the adversity they faced in both their previous country and America.
Reading this week: Interpreter of Maladies

Randoms:

I almost bought two-toned saddle shoes from UO today for $8.79 total, after using free shipping and 10% off. Alas, I did not. That's how careful I'm being with the ol' pocketbook. Tear.

I was just reading my Sociology book and came across this sentence:

"Applying the scientific method to the social world, a process known as positivism, apparently was first proposed by Auguste Comte."

Notice anything odd? Maybe it's just me, but "apparently?" Apparently to whom? The author? What!? Auguste Comte either did or didn't apply the scientific to the social world. So, author, if you just found this out prior to writing the article, you don't need to let me know that he "apparently" did this. If he did, he did. Goodness sake, that's such an odd word to place before a fact in a textbook. I'm so confused.

Go listen to good music, and I'll be back soon.
:]

4 comments:

  1. I still have to find a tree. I did claim a back corner of the library with a window and a view of trees, but I'm kind of on the edge of campus and trees are a bit sparse. This made me realize that I need to track down one. Even though in a month there will probably be snow on the ground. Oh well! I hope college is going well for you! I love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to have daydreams of me at college, studying under some fantastic tree. But when I got here, I realized that ants are more numerous than any place on earth.

    ReplyDelete