Sunday, November 20, 2011

Why I Didn't Go Into Advertising

I love marketing, advertising, public relations and the like. I can talk about this stuff for a long time and goodness knows I have opinions.

But today, this happened:



The ever obvious Black Friday/ Rebecca Black's "Friday" connection. It's awful, it's obnoxious, and it's just annoying at best. It's already causing a scene on the internet. People have opinions, more bad than good. More dislike's than like's. When I first realized what this video was, I cringed... probably like half of America.

But, guys... mission accomplished. Everyone will now know about Kohl's Black Friday sale. It doesn't matter how much you hate the ad. You now know all about it.

It's funny to me the entitlement people feel when they share their opinion of disgust, when Kohl's is loving every second of it. It's getting people to talk, it's getting views, etc. Kind of like Rebecca Black herself, she was famous for being awful, but she was still famous. And she's now producing on a major record label.

Advertising is about getting it out there, regardless of how awful it is... as bad as that sounds. It's a tricky business with a ton of underhanded methods and secrets. Kohl's isn't stupid, folks. They're kind of brilliant.

It's fascinating to me, but it's sneaky. And I don't want my career to involve selling people things my whole life.

& that's what I think. Sorry that I write about boring things sometimes.

7 comments:

  1. That was terrible, hilarious but terrible. I'm going into PR so I'm with you there on not wanting my career to involving selling people things my whole life. This post was great :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL this was not boring. I had not seen this ad yet. It is so awful.

    But you are right. This is exactly what Kohl's wanted. People are just playing into their tricks!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha I hadn't seen it before now. Oh my God is all I can say.

    I don't understand the obsession society has these days with wanting to be famous for stupid things. It's stupid and attention-seeking. Kind of like Kim Kardashian's career.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess I never thought of it that way... But you're completely right. And I probably still won't go to Kohl's on Black Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reading horror stories like these make me grateful that I did not bring a tv to college nor ever plan to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't understand how most people don't realize this already. Advertising is brilliant when done correctly, and this was brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I tagged you in a post missy! Go ch-ch- check it out! Because I'm making you do something. And it's a surprise until you go look at it!! So go do it!!!!

    ReplyDelete