
"Thou spleeny elf-skinned haggard!"
Let's take a moment to analyze this insult. Shakespeare begins his insult with the word "spleeny". This particularly caught my attention because I like spleen...the word and human organ. It's a bit of a love hate relationship. I love my spleen, yet I blame it for any pain occurring in my body. Sometimes my spleen is at fault for my headache. Anyway, "spleeny". This must mean 'man with multiple spleens'. I looked it up, and disappointment ensued. It means ill-tempered.
"Elf-skinned" Now, the word elf directs my imagination to pointy ears. This is not what little willy is referring to, however. He may be referring to rough, pale, or ugly skin. So says random internet people.
"Haggard" This word actually has a definition. How unusual, Willy. Haggard means, more or less, wild.
Therefore in contemporary English our Shakespeare insult of the day would go something like this, "You ugly, rough skinned, wild, ill-tempered man!" How dull.
SPLEENY!
Oops, that wasn't supposed to take that long. Good thing we didn't analyze yesterdays.
(This next section will be terribly uninteresting to most, sorry :[ )
Okay, so I'll officially hit my first rough patch with having a mac rather than a PC.
Remember that phase of my life when I was developing some serious graphic designer dreams in my future? Of course you don't, I told like two people about it. Pre-teens didn't do this sort of thing. I started experimenting in graphic design about 7th grade. This lasted till sophomore year in high school when I started looking at colleges for it and realized graphic designers are easily self taught, and you can often get your degree in a two year tech school. Not my style. Therefore, I chose to major in something much more stable. English. :]
Anywho, it was still always going to be my minor, until I walked into orientation and walked out a double major. (I STILL don't remember how this happened. I think they slipped something in my... something.)
However, I still think about it a lot and I miss having my photoshop to create and play with.
The program I got years ago for my PC was Coral Paint Shop Pro XI, because Adobe Photoshop was just WAY too expensive, and still is. Plus, upgrades are frequent, so instead of spending over half a thousand dollars on Photoshop in 7th grade, I decided I'd wait.
It was lovely. I can't put it on my mac though. Nothing Paint Shop Pro is mac compatible. So, now I'm finally seriously looking into Adobe Photoshop. I can't just mooch of of someone else's, because everyone I know that owns it has the PC version. For a while, I thought the cheapest (non-illegal) route was via a non-profit organization ($330 rather than $1000), but the CS4 Adobe Photoshop Extended Student Edition (which is the best CS4 version) for students enrolled in a credited university is only $200 rather than $1000.
Spleeny buckets! If I get the job I applied for this semester, I'm buying this asap. The thought of finally owning adobe photoshop makes my insides giddy.
So, in all actuality this isn't a Mac downfall. It's a, "Thanks, Mac for finally forcing me to purchase what I've wanted for 7 years." Well, here's to a Mac win, once again. Thanks, Justin Long.
My Nashvillian brotha and sista are coming up tomorrow. I haven't seen Autumn since Hank and I flew to Nashville for spring break. Since they are with us the least, this means the whole crew is coming to Manty tomorrow night. All ten of us will be together. This last happened a year ago on the cruise (Not even, because Andy hadn't been born). No one's even in China anymore, and it STILL doesn't happen often. Therefore, I'm quite excited for this reunion of sorts.
This is probably my last blog before I go back. Then I will update you on my second semester shenanigans. Here's to two more days of soda, bubblers, family, high school friends, and Starbucks.
Rad: Looking at cruise pictures from this time a year ago and finding these jems. We're under 21, Bahama protection, gorgeous San Juan.
Unrad: "There were things I wanted to tell him. But I knew they would hurt him. So I buried them, and let them hurt me."
Oh, also. I'm covering Charlie Chaplin by Katie Herzig.Thanks. :]
Also also, this double space thing is upsetting my insides. Blargh, blogger and your stupid html formatting. I cannot fix you easily.
So you know, I used the word spleen in my BLOG for you.
ReplyDelete