“Oh, the comfort, the inexpressible comfort of feeling safe with a person, having neither to weigh thoughts nor measure words, but pouring them all out, just as they are, chaff and grain together, certain that a faithful hand will take and sift them, keep what is worth keeping, and with a breath of kindness blow the rest away.”
- George Eliot
I had an enormously tiring/frustrating day and am lacking on sleep. Therefore, I'm listening to Biebz and blogging.
Sometimes when you think you have something figured out, the best thing to do next is to ask someone their opinion. Sometimes when you think you know something, you know absolutely nothing at all.
Sometimes there are things you don't really pay attention to, when in all actuality, they are quite curious. And I can't figure this one out. I have my theories, but you guys are smart. So, I'm going to ask you.
Why are some socially awkward situations considered socially awkward?
Let me talk about this one in particular: Eating alone.
This one has always stumped me. I don't mind eating alone in a cafeteria or restaurant one bit. Frankly, it's usually the most time efficient. But forget about my opinion, it's usually odd anyways. I'm talking society. Why do we want to hide the fact that we're eating alone by doing things like texting or reading the paper? Is it just because society associates eating alone with loneliness, and we assume the person isn't choosing to me alone?
(Not that this has to do with anything at all, but I'm definitely listen to the "Bieber Fever" Glee fellas singing Somebody to Love for the fourth time in a row right now. Did anyone else giggle excessively when Puck walk out with that hair? :] )
When I was younger, and my mom can probably remember this man, there was a man who I would see around town eating alone some evenings when my parents and I went out. He usually had a laptop or notebook with him. But... I always felt bad for him. I wanted him to save someone to eat with, and it kind of broke my heart a little. He always piqued my curiosity. Except, what if this is what he loved? What if he was writing some great novel and was doing his people watching author muse research jazz during these Friday night dinners?
I think he wanted to be alone.
Once in a while, when I tell people I'm going to the caf, they'll say, "By yourself?" I usually reply with, "I'm real hungry... so I'm going to go eat." I'm a great problem solver, see? :]
I don't know. I love eating with people, but it usually turns into a long business with laughs and all. That makes me sound like I hate laughing. This is untrue. I like saving time, so I don't mind eating alone. There, I said it!
Walking alone isn't weird. Driving alone isn't weird. Why is eating alone weird?
Just curious.
Ps: GIRLS. THIS. IS. A. DREAM. #whydon'tiliveinbrooklyn #whyamiusingtwitterhashtags
Oh, and Lex? Here's a little mention to brighten your day. I hope things start looking up, things destressify, and that life introduces you to some awesome, new uplifting people. :]
And EMILY. Letter. COMING. SOON. #iamawful #ihaventforgotten #istillwantto
Oh that did brighten my day! Or should I say incredibly long night? Anyway! Thank you! I hope all of those things as well lol
ReplyDeleteAnd as to your question, I really don't know! I eat lunch almost everyday by myself. Because I want to. It's just so relaxing, I don't know it's hard to explain. I like being alone sometimes. It's just easier. I love to be with people, but like you said, it often does use up a lot of time. "I'M A VERY BUSY PERSON AND I HAVEN'T GOT ALL DAY"
Where's that line from? Anyone?
I don't know, I've never really understood why it's such a bad thing. Maybe because I like to be alone. I like doing things by myself sometimes. Don't get me wrong, I love being with people and doing things with them. But I feel like it's more relaxing and calm when you do things like eat by yourself.
ReplyDeleteI think you're right when you said that people think the person's not choosing to be alone. Some people just don't understand how a person could want to be alone.
Oh, and I love the picture. Amazing!
ReplyDeleteI don't get the eating alone thing, either. I've eaten alone plenty of times. Plus, sometimes I get so busy that lunch is the only time I can do my homework, so I'll just plop myself down in a booth and eat and then work on your homework. Everyone needs alone time and sometimes you want to be in a crowd to have that alone time. No need to stay cooped up eating sandwiches because you're alone.
ReplyDeleteGoing to movies alone has always been weird to me too. Why not go see a movie by yourself? I get that it'd be creepy to be a grown man going to see a Disney movie by yourself, but getting away from that, if you're anything like me, you don't talk during movies, you sit and silence and watch a movie. So if your friends don't want to go see a movie you want to see, go by yourself! It's liberating!
I don't usually like eating alone. I think it's because of what I think other people are thinking. I'm afraid they're all like "Oh, look at that lonely girl with no friends" or something, which is ridiculous because probably no one is even looking at me. Society is just weird about things.
ReplyDeleteLike, it's ok to go to the library or grocery shopping by yourself, but it feels weird to go to the mall by yourself (at least, for me it does).
I totally laughed at the Bieber Glee episode. Puck with Bieber hair looked hilarious.
I enjoy eating alone and with others, usually depending on the meal/time of day.
ReplyDeleteI refuse to eat breakfast with other people. Breakfast is my time. Sometimes I read, sometimes I don't. But I like having that time alone to go over the previous day, think about my dreams, collect my thoughts, go over the upcoming day, and just ... chill.
I'll occasionally make a lunch date with someone, but generally my days have a very brief "lunch" break, during which I'm either running to grab food and shovel it down or frantically trying to finish my homework.
Dinner I see as more social. I only eat dinner alone if I'm busy. When I'm not, I like eating with a group, discussing our day, laughing, etc.
And LETTER = EXCITEMENT! =]
I know. I sometimes kind of want to eat alone but i know people would say that she is such a loner etc.. at times all i want to do is just be alone.
ReplyDeleteI really enjoy eating with others but I have to say that I love to eat by myself sometimes, I cherish that alone time. By the way the picture on this post is so nice...very relaxing.
ReplyDeleteGreat blog! I owe it all to Lex for finding it! I look forward to more of your writings. Hopefully you will be able to follow mine as well...God bless.
Welcome, Cait, Moriya, and Diana! SO nice to meet you guys. :]
ReplyDeleteAnd Lex, SADLY I didn't get that reference, but DON'T WORRY! I Google'd it. :]
Oh and Kate, thanks! Gotta love Tumblr!
I love the picture at the start of your blog. That room looks so cosy. I just want to jump into bed and stare out the giant windows at the gorgeous view.
ReplyDeleteI often eat alone. I think it's not so weird in the on-campus cafes, loads of people always do it. I'd say cafes are also socially OK if you're just ordering a drink. Where I think you start to attract attention and judgement is when you go out for a meal by yourself.
I did it, once - went out for a meal on my own. Not a fancy place or anything. But I still felt so awkward, like everyone was looking at me. Everyone else was there with someone else.