Tuesday, August 9, 2011

No More Bacon


"Bacon, bacon. bacon, bacon, bacon."
- The Bacon Song

Vegetarianism.

Sure it has it's appeal, but let's be honest. I love brats. I love bacon. I love cheeseburgers.
I'm sure we all know a handful of vegetarians, and I'm sure you've all thought about it at one time or another, but personally, I've just never cared enough to try it.

Sure, I had my "go-to" reasons:
1) Don't want to inconvenience people.
2) Won't get enough protein.
3) Don't have time.

And I know, any vegetarian is more than prepared to spit back a counter argument for each of these points. But I always bring myself back to my love for brats.

Last night I was catching up with one of my high school friends and I learned that he had become a vegetarian a few months ago. He was going on and on about the benefits and how great he felt, and I was excited for him, too. Until he told me to try it. Again. And again. And again. He knows if you poke me enough, I can't say no to a personal challenge.

"Two weeks. Just two weeks, Allyson, and I promise you'll love it."

So, friends, today is day one. From now until August 23, I am a vegetarian.


I've already stocked up on beans, hummus, nuts, veggies, and fruit... so I should be good. For now. We'll see. This is what I get for making fun of all those PETA e-mails.

Call me naive, but I absolutely have no intentions of sticking with this after the two weeks are up. This is how I feel on day one.

Have you ever considered going vegetarian? Why?
Any vegetarians out there with meal suggestions?

6 comments:

  1. I've never tried, mostly just because I like meat. I love vegetables (in fact, that asparagus is making me drool) but I don't think I could handle not eating meat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been considering becoming a vegetarian, mostly because I feel so bad for those poor mistreated animals. The problem is every time I consider it, I imagine myself never eating a cheeseburger again and the idea pops out of my head. Plus I think my mom would have my head if I refused to eat any meat :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love meat way too much. And my vegetable palette isn't very big. I'm not huge into salad. My favorite flavor of pizza is meat lovers. I definitely haven't considered it at all. Good luck though :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. you have your brats, i have my filet mignon. i have never considered it, and though i think it would be a good, healthy life change, i am absolutely too lazy to follow through. i give you props though. you are a brave young woman. i am going to like hearing about your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You watch meekakitty? Is this the same Bacon Song I'm thinking of?

    Give me a nice, tender roast beef and I'm gone. I have actually tried being a vegetarian. Once because I joked about doing it for a New Years Resolution so a friend dared me. I lasted about two weeks. The second one is dumber. I watched an episode of Tyra about tape worms. Yep. That also lasted about two weeks.

    It's hard to be a vegetarian when my family's dinners are always meat, potatoes, corn, bread. I know, we're so creative.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1.) PETA = Disgrace to animal rights/welfare activists everywhere.

    2.) I was vegetarian/ vegan once. Then I remembered how effing delicious steak is. =]

    Good luck on your endeavor!

    P.S. Morningstar veggie burgers are pretty darn tasty, if I may say so myself. Unless they've changed their recipe in the past 6 years.

    ReplyDelete