
(No, I am not reading this book.
I enjoy my meat, and frankly I don't care to know gross
things about it that may threaten my love for it.
I just like this picture. :] )
Well, it's about that time again. The time when I formulate a summer reading list that I usually fail at completing by the end of summer. Well, kids, this time I mean it. I probably say this every summer, but... this time I'm fo real, yo. (I changed my dialogue to show that of ghetto resemblance to explain just exactly how serious I am.) I promise to also review them in this blog. This is a very rough list, subject to change.
So, can you help me out with this? I'll start.
Capivating by John & Stasi Eldredge
- I've had this book in my possession, whether it be a borrowed book or finally my own copy, for about a year now. Time to actually read it.
Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green and David Levithan
- I'll have time to read this in three weeks. Three weeks.
Going Bovine by Libba Bray
- I haven't read any Libba Bray, but this book sounds especially off the wall intriguing. From what I've seen of Libba Bray... I believe it.
Hunger Games and possibly Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins
- I'm behind on this new Hunger Games obsession. All I know is that they are dystopian novels, and I quite enjoy these type of novels. (1984, Fahrenheit 451, Lord of The Flies) Has anyone read the Hunger Games? Any other favorite dystopian novels?
Catcher and the Rye by J.D Salinger
- Because I'm embarrassed to say I've never finished it.
The Giver by Lois Lowry
- Same reason as above. Also, because it seems to be a frequent favorite book. It's just one of those books I've never come around to reading.
Also, I am going to the library, finding two to three random books I have never heard of that sound interesting to me, and reading them. So those three are TDB(1, 2, 3).
A fair amount of F. Scott Fitzgerald short stories.
- I love this style of writing, and have heard many good things about his short stories. I've actually just started An Offshore Pirate. Let's say ten. I'll read ten.
List Possibilities:
The Last Summer by Ann Brashares
- Just because I enjoy her style of writing.
The Uglies Series by Scott Westerfeld
- Because these have been sitting on my shelf far too long, as well, and everyone that I know who has read them has seemed to enjoy them.
If I Stay by Gail Forman
- It intrigues me, and it's quite popular right now.
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
- This has just been on my list for a while. Emily, you're reading this now, aren't you?
There. The list has started to take shape. Now I need to finalize it, formulate a goal from it, and devise a reward for myself at the completion of said goal. As my list changes and finalizes, I'll update every step of the way.
So now I have some questions for you:
Have you read any of these? Comments?
What is your favorite YA book of the moment? (not on this list)
What is your favorite Classic?
Any other suggestions?
Rad: Summer Reading. The band that just came up on Pandora: Faded Paper Figures. Also, finding a new favorite channel on Pandora. Mine is now that based on the band Phoenix.
Unrad: Failing to complete such lists.
I want frozen yogurt.
I love your reading list. I never read "Catcher and the Rye" either; AP English did not include it, lol! I did read "The Giver" and promptly forbid my kids to look at it until they were at least thirteen.
ReplyDeleteThe picture of your tiny baby is what drew me to your blog, babies and the Midwest...it's a match! I have five and live along the Mississippi. Cheers!
I would recommend starting with Will Grayson, Will Grayson and The Hunger Games. They're quick, easy, and captivating and will get you motivated to read more. (That's kind of what happened to me with WG, WG.) When you finish Hunger Games, you will want to read Catching Fire. It is that good. Luckily, someone told me this before I read Hunger Games (last winter), so I was sure to get both books at the same time. =]
ReplyDeleteI'm must confess, I read half of Catcher in the Rye and never finished it. >.< But, I bought it this past January ... so let me know when you read it. We could have some sort of impromptu blogging buddy book club. (And knowing someone else is reading it will motivate me to read it as well.)
The Giver I had to read in school, and it's alright. It's a bit weird, but if you like dystopian literature, you'll like it. It's a fairly quick read as well, which is always nice.
And lastly, I am currently reading The Book Thief. I really like it a lot. The only drawback is that I also have a lot of course work around this time, and I'm having to struggle with not spending all of my time reading it!
Good luck with your summer reading list, you can do it!
And, I might have to steal this idea. =]
First off- You need to get both The Hunger Games and Catching Fire. They are amazingly addictive and really easy to read.
ReplyDelete2nd off- The Book Thief is amazing and if you like Zusak, check out his other novel I Am the Messenger. Literally, it changed my life.
3rd off- OMG Finish Catcher in the Rye. FINISH IT.
4th off- Also, you should read the Gemma Doyle Trilogy by Libba Bray. I liked them a lot better then Bovine.
5th off- Yay for F. Scott Fitzgerald. None of my friends get my obsession with him.
Good luck on your reading list! You can do it and I'll keep you accountable!
Catcher in the Rye: I read this last summer (which was only a couple of months ago) and although it wasn't bad, I don't understand what the hype is all about. But at least I can say I've read it.
ReplyDeleteUglies series: SO GOOD
The Book Theif: Read this one a year or two ago. This was also really good, but really sad. But really good.
Favourite classic: There are a few, but off the top of my head I read Oscar Wilde's The Picture of Dorian Gray and his complete short stories a couple of months ago, and they were fantastic. Oscar Wilde's writing is just beautiful... it's very poetic.