Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Le Spieling Peter


Someone come with me to Disneyland. Please.


Sometimes I feel like I'm Drew Barrymore pretending to be a high school student only to write an article on it. Except art school is my high school. And my future is the article I'm writing. Sometimes I feel like I'm an outsider being let in on the ins and outs of being an art major. I mean, I'm learning pretty well. But it still seems fake. I'm mostly just talking about sculpture here. I know what to say, and I know what will make Todd extremely excited in an artsy sort of way. But when we critique pieces and just say what it reminds us of, I'm not going to lie... it gets silly. Today I compared someone's sculpture to a leg of chicken. And this is acceptable, because it's art. I also compared one to pokeballs attacking a pokemon. In all honesty, it really looked like it. This isn't completely just the nerd in me. (After I said it, a boy responded, "That's what I was thinking, too! Secretly." We had a nerdlike moment.) Anyway, between comparing something to a leg of chicken and using a blow drier to dry my sham-wow full of charcoal*, I had another one of those, "Art major, Allyson? Really?" moments. Computers. I like computer art.

Hokay.

Sometimes I have days where I feel dizzy. all. day. Today was one of those days. I've tried everything. I think it's just something I have to deal with. Someone told me it might have something to do with weak adrenal glands. Well, hokay. Great, hormones. Way to get all weak on me. I thought you an I were good.

Guys, I had some fun on Google Maps today with my new address in Chicago. Then I did this:


What a company. That's all I have to say. I really like Starbucks, but I mean... can you believe a company can be something like this and still thrive? Coffee. Coffee drives the routine of our society. I mean, I don't really have an opinion on that, I just think it's such an interesting thing that the coffee industry is able to sell $4 lattes. Some people say it's sad, but I kind of think it's brilliant. No matter how much people complain, we all do it. What a business. With all that said, I won't lie. This got me excited. Say what you will!

Let me leave you with a little bit of adorable that is Spieling Peter Pan.



Sorry for this blah of a blog. I already know what I'm doing for tomorrows, though! Off to read about your days!

* It's technically a chamois cloth, but it's french so you say it like "sham wah." This is too hard for me to say without sounding like I'm completely faking the accent, so I call it a shamwow. But really, that's where the name Sham Wow came from. It's pretty much the exact same cloth. Fun fact o' the day for you.

7 comments:

  1. That's weird... I have days too where I feel dizzy all day...

    I have a funny story where I compared something to a pokeball.. I was in math class and the teacher drew a circle and put the dot in the middle and drew a line through the center (it was supposed to be an example of radius) and when she asked what it was I said "pokeball?" haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always feel like I need to read the description to understand art when I'm in a museum or an art gallery. Should it be that way?

    That Peter Pan is amazing. I watched some of the clips of him on youtube, and he's a really great improv actor. Must be a really hard job. Respect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My approach on art is that I like pretty things. Yep. I'm not artist and I don't really get "interesting" art, just the pretty, cool looking stuff.

    And I've heard so much about Spieling Peter Pan but never got it. But now I totally do. I would go to Disneyland if I could. And Harry Potter World.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I fully and completely support your decision to move to a location within a mile of 9 different Starbucks. BEST IDEA EVER!

    And I have considered what it must be like to be an art major, though at most I would do photography or digital graphics, since I am overwhelmingly bad at creating things with my hands. I think you'll graduate knowing more than you realized you learned, but I can understand how your class might feel silly. I am always envious of my photography-major-friend's homework assignments. They seem much too fun to be "work".

    And I am DOWN for Disneyland. =D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am coming with you to Disneyland. I LOVE that Peter Pan. I never knew that about Shamwow so thank you for this insight!

    I love that you compared a sculpture to a chicken leg. I think that means you are a real artist now. Seriously. You have vision! Nerd-like vision that can decrease world-suck and fill holes in people's hearts with happiness and wonder!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A fellow disneyland friend! I have a special place in my heart for disneyland. Well, Disneyworld as well. I have only been to Disneyland once, but I have gone to Florida like five times. I am going again in 13 days :)
    It is truly the most magical place in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  7. NOT EVEN.
    I JUST discovered this guy yesterday when my friend Luke sent me a video of him! Too weird!
    And I am in love with him and I don't care that he has a girlfriend because WANT.
    Haha.
    But really. He's adorable.

    ReplyDelete