" I will give you this, my love, and I will not bargain or barter any longer. I will love you, as sure as He has loved me. I will discover what I can discover and though you remain a mystery, save God's own knowledge, what I disclose of you I will keep in the warmest chamber of my heart, the very chamber where God has stowed Himself in me. And I will do this to my death, and to death it may bring me. I will love you like God, because of God, mighted by the power of God. I will stop expecting your love, demanding you love, trading for your love, gaming for your love. I will simply love. I am giving myself to you, and tomorrow I will do it again. I suppose the clock itself will wear thin its time before I am ended at this altar of dying and dying again. God risked Himself on me. I will risk myself on you. And together, we will learn to love, and perhaps then, and only then, understand this gravity that drew Him, unto us."
-Donald Miller
(Recently I've rediscovered my love for this man and how he is able communicate his thoughts on paper in such a way that helps everything make a little more sense. Reading his stuff gives you a lot of fistpump moments.)
However, a number of good things kept happening on this day I had already determined as "bad." I think it was God's way of poking me with a fluffy stick and saying, "Hey, you, with the great life. Stop trudgin'' around. Look at all the fantastic things I have given you today. Here, have some coffee and smile, woman."
Also, great friends are absolutely awesome to have. They remind you that the thoughts you have that put you down are not always stupid. They remind you that just because other people may think the doubts/insecurities/worries/questions you are having might be stupid or insignificant, doesn't mean they are. They remind you that you don't just have to "deal with it." No, it's not stupid. No, if you think it's an issue, you don't just have to "deal with it." People are different.
People need to respect the fact that people think/comprehend/feel differently. And sometimes, you need to take a step back and humble yourself to be able to understand how to better communicate what you are trying to get across to that person. And sometimes, that means doing things differently than what you personally think is the right way. This is really hard. This is like taking everything you have learned in your life to come to the conclusion you have come to, and setting it aside for a second in order to love the way another needs you to love.
So, my day is looking up. I can't shake this nasty headache, though.
UConn just won the NCAA tournament. This makes me happy. In 6th (7th?) grade I filled out my first bracket, sent UConn to win it, and they did. Just for me, I'm sure of it. Anyway, my friend Jeff and I were the class winners, so we both won something from the vending machine. I think I tell this to everyone every single March Madness, because I am so proud of it, but my slogan in 6th grade was, "U CONN DOOO IT!" I know, I know. It's pretty much more clever than anything you have heard in your life. Ever since then I have claimed the right to proclaim I am "good" at filling out brackets. To keep this true, I haven't filled out out for a few years now. :]
Hope you learned to love your Monday.
Ps: Remember how I accidentally got on the PETA e-mailing list and have come to enjoy the hilarity that fills my inbox on a weekly basis? Ah, yes. Well, have you ever considered yourself the cutest vegetarian alive? Well you're in luck, because there is now a contest for you! *facepalm*
Pps: Emily, I'm talkin' to you. Win this thing, gurrl.
I agree wholeheartedly that great friends are great gifts. And that sometimes, bad days have happy endings.
ReplyDeleteMaybe more bad days would have happy endings if we weren't so prejudiced against the rest of the day from the beginning.
I'm glad you were able to find some silver linings in your not-so-good day! And the PETA thing is hilarious! I must have missed the post where you talked about ending up on their mailing list, but I think it's hilarious that they have (what I'm assuming is) a fashion/hotness/photo-ish contest. Oohhhh, PETA.
ReplyDeletethe Peta thing is too funny. I like how they all have names like "Destiny" and "Breanna".
ReplyDeleteHope you have an amazing week!
You're so right, it's hard to see things from a different view point. That's something I struggle a lot with.
ReplyDeleteAnd I was sooo hoping Butler would win! Mostly because that's one of the colleges I'm looking at.